Sunday, February 24, 2008

Insanity, Art, and No Damage Zones



It shouldn't surprise anyone that I love art. My RL step mother is a professional artist. Several of my friends are highly artistic (including painters, sculptors, musicians, and even a graffiti artist). My RL mom and grandmother are (was) so creative that when I brought home can tops with a glittered letter depicting my name, they shook their heads and ordered DNA tests be done to make sure I was of their stock. (They opted to blame my father forgetting he was a talented pianist, another talent that passed over me.)

This means that I haven't a single artistic bone in my little body. But I LOVE art and have so much appreciation for creativity. Perhaps that's a reason I enjoy the Cetus Gallery District as much as I do. 70 plus artists in one spot can keep me pretty occupied in SL.

For a change of scenery, I visited Luctesa to see Virtual Starry Night, home to the permanent exhibition of Vincent Van Gogh's master pieces in high resolution. Having never particularly appreciated Van Gogh (perhaps because he was highly emotional and lacked confidence in life and talent), I was somewhat, well, ok, I was bored out of my mind in order to make this stop.

Fans of his would probably like to chase me around the SIM with an open razor (HA HA I believe it is a no damage zone!). This is a blessing should any of them face his fate. However, those who end up doing so, I hear rumour of a mental hospital in SL... Of course, it all ended quite badly (the blood and gore and all) but at least you'd have a roof over your head. I'd also recommend avoiding all handguns and other weapons that shoot projectiles at high speeds with great force.

Van Gogh's work, impressionist, full of colour utilizing wide brushstrokes, is dramatic. Having seen a few of his works in (RL) person, the embodiment of his talent is never fully appreciated unless in full composition and collection. At Virtual Starry Night, you will see so much more - brilliant, bright, optimistic, sometimes insane art depicting hope, form, style, fear, and beauty.

While wandering through several of the gallery rooms (but not all) hosting about 70 pieces of his work, I found myself captivated with his piece entitled Almond Blossoms. Now way to know for sure, but I suspect this piece, reportedly painted in 1890 (oil on canvas), was likely inspired by Japanese prints which he supposedly acquired a few years prior in 1885. Someone described the work as "ominous, yet strangely beautiful in its nostalgia." I saw nothing of the sort but instead, a beautiful reflection of the ordering of the mind. Van Gogh uses the deep blue against the branches and flowers as a means to define the space he saw, to organize it, to find peace in it, to relish the calm it likely brought him. Or, perhaps not. I have no way of knowing.

Fans can stop by Luctesa and visit the collection whenever they choose. Follow the arrows through the gallery and click the "i" for information on each painting. For a guided tour, I am told to contact
Liza Gibbs who "is around most of the time". It's eerie. But worth your trip. :)

No comments: