Thursday, February 14, 2008

Taxing Taxes Parties


There is very little in this world so reliable as taxes (except perhaps death). It's so reliable in fact, that it adds stress to the average household, months of worry, and a lot of white out. Shoe boxes of receipts, file folders stuffed with notes, planners covered in post-its... your friendly neighborhood CPA shakes her head, starts a new pot of coffee and prepares for another all nighter.

Those who are married to CPAs know what this is like. Sometime after March, you discover that you are not sleeping with a smelly, ugly, moldy monster but that there is a spouse under there somewhere, usually found after a series of bio-hazerd showers and several weeks of therapy.

Perhaps this is why I am so pleased to be the bringer of help. Well, not really. I just bring the news of help.

H&R Block hosts Tuesday night don't-blow-your-brains-out-over-taxes parties in the H&R Block Island sim. They've hired one of SL's top DJs to spin (trust me he's good). While you dance your tooshy off, you can ask nice questions about deductions, schedules, forms and when it is absolutely necessary to give your cat a bath.

I popped over there Tuesday and found "Hope". Great name I think because this woman is a little like me, but an accountant. She sits up at night and instead of having a life, reads IRS manuals (I read philosophy and theology literature). She's a walking library of all things tax. She's a delight, direct, clear, and doesn't speak to you like you are a 5 year old but still keeps it simple enough that you can figure out what the heck she is talking about.

If you are from Boston, by the way, don't forget to offer her some tea. No real reason - just that she might like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the CNN blog says to stop by and see Hope AND YOU for tax questions! We need to talk! lol

Actually, last year, I did stop by the H&R Block island for their Tango® tax program thing, and well, let's just say it was buggy and their customer service after the fact was less than helpful, well, except to admit they realized too late that it had all sorts of flaws, but didn't tell anyone.

I ended up owing a late filing fee, plus interest penalty. I won't be testing it for them this year, even though they sent me a free user license - they aren't paying me enough to get my taxes wrong again.

Ribbons Whitfield said...

Ouch! Not a good thing!

They seem to be doing much better this year than what you've reported. Needless to say, my CPA and Esq are still getting my shoebox. ;)

Thanks for the update!